Saturday, January 15, 2011

Squishing Across America!



Yep, I've squished across America and I'm proud of it!
 
Whether you call them squished, pressed or elongated coins, they are fun to collect.  Something to do with your kids or grand kids that is fairly inexpensive, shows places you have been and easy to store.
 
You want to start with the books to store the coins:  PennyCollector.com - The official website for elongated pennies, penny books and penny machines Here are a few of mine:
         

You can collect by themes, if you prefer.  I like Pez and pigs so I make sure I get those whenever I can.

       
And Burma Shave plus Route 66:


You can use machine locators to find machines nearby you or where you are going to visit:  PennyCollector.com - The official website for elongated pennies, penny books and penny machines or you can even shop online:  The World's Largest Elongated Coin Store! Elongated Coins from Around the globe. plus eBay is a huge source for them.
 
You never know what you might find. 
I was lucky enough to find one from the 1939 World's Fair. 
    And it's not limited to pennies.  Nightmare Before Christmas set pressed on quarters.   

 Another favorite of mine are holiday coins.  Whatever theme you want, I'm sure you can find something to collect in these coins!  And if you want, you can even own a machine of your own! 
RWS

7 comments:

jj said...

Okay...this just made me laugh...
I know I've done this and gotten a few of these made.
I didn't know they made books for them specifically though! lolol!

goodgosh said...

Oh! LOLOL
I read the first line and could not keep a straight face. It's actually pretty cool though! I saw some old Indian tokens at an auction recently and they remind me of "squished" pennies. :)

Peppercorns said...

I've seen these a few times but never really paid attention or knew what they were...this is so fun! Thanks.

Have to ask though, exactly how many collections do you REALLY have?!?! LOL

Doodle said...

Really cool there RWS! I have had some done when I've been on vacation. Problem is, where did I put those things? lol Guess that's why the books to put them in are important.

Great way to mark your vacation, too!

(I keep telling her that I think her house is a musuem ~ I really do!)

VintageEmbellishment said...

When I read the title I thought you had taken a vacation during our current bad weather and snow situation across America. LOL!

I too have seen these around, had no idea there was a whole collectible market for them however...how did I miss that?

Sarah said...

Oh wow! I totally used to get these coins when I was a kid. I wish I still had them. Next time I see a squishing machine I'm going for it!

Sarah

http://sadiedesigns.blogspot.com

- said...

This is the first I've heard of them.