Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Maps

nikimilns

Does anyone actually use a map anymore? Does anyone still know how to read them? I’m not talking about old historical or valuable maps, just your everyday run of the mill driving maps.
With getting directions online or having a GPS, I wonder will all the maps be doomed for the recycle bin?

People used to joke about how hard it was to refold a map, and you often saw some funny skit in the movies involving a map while driving. What is so funny about a GPS? Other than the commercial for the Insurance Company, where the GPS guy is yelling at you to TURN RIGHT NOW.
There have been plenty of times when I wanted to toss my GPS right out the window.

Well have no fear, I have found some fun uses for recycled maps. The following shops have used them in creative ways. Some of them have created their own maps.
TerrorDome
Here are some pieces of jewelry made using some maps.
RunsWithScissors4

designsbytaylor2u
 
bookity


How about a lit map?

czechpub

or some cut work

studiokmo


 Every car used to have a map in the glove compartment, maybe we should keep one in there again, you never know when you will lose your GPS signal. While we are at it, it might be a good thing to show ours kids how to read a map and maybe give them a lesson or two on how to refold them.

Happy travels whether you use a map or not.

(jj)

4 comments:

VintageEmbellishment said...

I love maps...and use them all the time! A GPS is nice especially when you are lost and not sure exactly where you are....but...my map never leads me in the wrong direction and my GPS does....Like it says we have arrived at our destination but instead of a housing complex we are in the middle of a busy highway...now where is that map????

I love the items you found, perfect for reusing a worn out map!

Runs With Scissors said...

I, too, love maps! I can't get enough of them. Thanks so much for including my washer wear maps!

Guess I live in a cave, I don't have a GPS.

Peppercorns said...

I don't have GPS either and I still use maps. Some are the printed "fold up" kind, but they also come from the internet. The internet does give me one simple piece of paper that doesn't have to be folded. :0)

But stashed away are about 20 old maps and you've just given me an idea for repurposing them. Thanks jj.

Doodle said...

I don't have a GPS either and I love my maps. Of course, you shouldn't read a map while driving, unless you're the navigator and someone else is driving. haha

That map light is amazing! And our very own Runs with her washer wear maps - those are really cool. I think when I take my vacation, I'll be visiting Runs to make me some "MAP" stuff. :)