Friday, April 8, 2011

"A Day in the Life with Rocki"

This week, we're gonna take a look into the world of "supplies":  handmade jewelry supplies.  Original, unique designs, made to order.  I have to be honest here, I'm not much into jewelry myself, but I can sure appreciate the creativity and dedication of those that make it.  When I look at her metalwork, I am just amazed at what she can do.  So if you love jewelry, love to make jewelry or just love metalwork, you're gonna love spending ...

A Day in the Life with Rocki, Owner of

Duuude:  How long have you been making metal work jewelry supplies?

Rocki:  I started creating my own handmade ear wires in 2007 and then in 2008 I opened my Etsy supply shop – which has since expanded into a wide variety of supply findings and metalwork jewelry, which has turned into my full-time career.    
Large Gold Artisan Aztec Clasp

Duuude:  What inspired you get into this area of crafting?

Rocki:  It all started when I was creating and selling beaded jewelry and got tired of commercial ear wires.  I wanted more of a variety, for starters.  From my old Etsy shop I was getting a lot of requests from other sellers inquiring where I got my ear wires from.  Well, short version, I started taking special supply requests from that shop and then realized that I was creating more metalwork than beaded jewelry – and loving it!  Next thing I knew, I picked up a torch and fell in love with fire and metal.  So, I closed the bead shop and opened my supply shop.      
Duuude:  Tell us a little bit about your creative process.  Can you supply us with a photo or two of your work area, and maybe a sample or two of your favorite items?
Rocki's Studio
Rocki:  Gosh, where to start with this one.  I’m quite busy every day, guess you could say it’s like going to work Mon-Fri, 8-5 (with overtime), but I don’t have to wear nylons!  I have a home studio that I create from, which used to be our meditation room so creating in my studio is inspiring in itself and very relaxing – even when I have hectic days.  All of my orders are scheduled, so everyday is a little different, but filled with creating a variety of metalwork jewelry, supplies, oxidizing, soldering, tumbling, etc.  Oh and excuse my studio pictures, it isn’t neat and tidy as the rest of my house.
Sterling Silver Earwires - Kite Series

I have several favorite supply findings, but my original designed Signature Kites are my favorite, along with my Aztec clasp, which was inspired by my Kite Series.

Duuude:  Where do you get your ideas for your items?

Rocki:  Of course with supply findings you have your basic staples, but many of my original designs have come from just playing around with wire and household items, drawing, accidents (yep), customer requests (love my customers!) and hubby has even come up with a couple designs (even though he refers to my metalwork as “car parts”, he’s my biggest fan!).  I already mentioned my Signature Kites, but just to go a little further, I was truly sitting at my bench one day long ago and out came my Kites!  I laughed because one of my mom’s favorite sayings was “go fly a kite” – so, I named them in her honor.  I have a whole Kite Series, all inspired by my original design that was born February 2009.   
Rocki's Studio
Duuude:  Where do you sell your items?

Rocki:  I sell in several online venues and a little here and there locally:

Supply Findings:

Metalwork Jewelry:

Duuude:  Anything else you'd like us to know? 

Rocki:  I had NO idea that I had an artistic side.  I used to work the very hectic corporate life many years ago until one day the rug was pulled out from beneath me and my world came to a screeching halt due to health reasons - not life threatening, but life altering.   From beading for a hobby, in time I created a whole new career – and life - and I enjoy every precious moment.  The following is my own quote that I have posted on all my sites:
"Never give up - no matter if it is a goal to reach or one of many obstacles to overcome that life throws at you. With a positive attitude, strength, determination, faith, willpower and the love and support of family and friends, you will get through it - usually with a better outcome."
Elfaerie Ball Hoop Earwires

You can follow Rocki here:
 

Thank you Rocki, for sharing a little corner of your world with us.  Great quote and motto to live by.  Never give up ~ keep moving forward and yes, we can overcome anything with the right attitude.    
Have a great weekend everyone and see you all next week!
"Duuude"  

3 comments:

Runs With Scissors said...

Terrific interview! Rocki is such a wonderful person, not only does she make the most awesome findings but she enjoys it so much, it shows in her work!

Check out the line of Twist n Wraps she makes! http://www.etsy.com/listing/55221384/10-twist-n-wrap-link-connectors-fine
and my favorite items are her Elfins line, especially the baby Elfins: http://www.etsy.com/shop/RockisSupplies/search?search_query=elfins&search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_5326367&shopname=RockisSupplies

Thanks for the interview Rocki and thanks Julie for doing it! Great job from both!

Peppercorns said...

WOW!I'm impressed! Rocki is so talented and creative, I just love her work. Thanks Duuude for another great interview.

Rocki Adams said...

From the bottom of my humble heart, thank you all for the interview and comments!

Scissors - you rock, nice to see you here and thanks!