Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Do you know anything about antique bottles?

Hello!
What are you drawn to that you know almost nothing about?
The list is long for me, but lately it appears to be bottles. Old bottles.

It appears my lot in life that whenever I find a bunch of bottles they are about as filthy as can be, filled with black mystery crud and things that float. So first thing I do is fill up the utility sink with hot soapy water and let them soak for a loooooong time. I recently came across a wood box full of over 100 bottles. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :)




One batch that has soaked and ready for scrubbing. I use a toothbrush, a paint brush, a rag, and I just bought a baby bottle brush this morning to use.

After I have scrubbed to the best of my ability I leave them alone for a while to drain upside down while I try to straighten my spine back to normal. 



Here are some of the bottles after cleaning. I LOVE looking at them and seeing what they say  or guess at what they were used for! 
Some of these say, "Kreml Shampoo, Dr. D Jayne & Son inc., It Foams!, and Frostilla" There are many Listerine bottles so whoever these belonged to had mighty fresh breath.
Now comes the part I don't like so much, research. I did find this site that offers a whole plethora of information on antique bottles. 

 If anyone knows of a one stop source for researching bottles feel free to divulge your knowledge or if you have any other "tips" I'm all ears. 
So what are you drawn to that you know almost nothing about??

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season!

Peggy ~ Goodgosh ~ GG

6 comments:

Runs With Scissors said...

This is SO neat! Don't you just love washing them up and seeing them sparkle? Or is that just me?

I'm drawn to Airwick air fresheners and can't find a darn thing online regarding them. Does stop me from buying them though!

Great article, GG! Thanks for sharing!

Meeling said...

Sounds like "fun" job washing them...but they look fabulous when they are done.

Wow!

I think the research part would be fun...I love finding out where "things" came from!

autena said...

What fun seeing the before and after cleaning pix!

goodgosh said...

Thanks you guys ~ they still have a foggy look to them after washing though. Does anyone know how to get rid of that?
Meeling ~ you want to research for me? :)

It's not just you Runs.

Runs With Scissors said...

You could try adding some CLR to the water and let them soak. CLR takes stuff off bottles nicely, try it on just one to see what you think. Get the CLR in the gray plastic bottle.

VintageEmbellishment said...

Great collection of bottles you found....some are quite valuable so check them out carefully....
I always wish that when I find a load of great vintage items that someone else will have already cleaned them....still wishing...and waiting....