Sunday, December 5, 2010

December 1st at our Home....

During the holiday season most people have special items they pull out of boxes in the closet to display in their home for the holiday they celebrate...

At our home it is Christmas :)  and these are a few of the things that help bring the Christmas spirit to our home....

On the first day of December I find the big box that I store my Christmas quilt in..take it out of the box, shake it out.and hang it up on our wall....



I made this quilt many years ago and every year since then it has hung on a wall in our family room during the Christmas season.

Then about 5 years ago I saw some beautiful wreaths made out of vintage ornaments...well I had boxes of vintage ornaments, the kind you find at most garage sales each year....so out came the hot glue gun and after a few hours I had my own ornament wreath....

It hangs from a Victorian wall piece which is on the brick above our fireplace.....
The hot glue gun was not the best tool for the job as the glue dries out, so every year I lose a couple of ornaments that drop and break before I can reglue them to the wreath...but I still love it!

About 2 years ago we went to a fabulous Christmas sale in a small Antique Shop in an even smaller town in Nebraska...and bought a felt runner, this is a reproduction of one from the early 1900's...it isn't old and I did not create it...but it has found the perfect spot on the entry table in our home...

The next item to come out for display will be our old Nativity Set...much loved and much worn...but the most important item of all!

I don't have a photo yet to share with you but the set will be out and set up on an old pie safe in our family room by tomorrow...

Hope you have some wonderful items of  your own that you display each year at this time, and that they bring you as  much joy and comfort as ours do us...

Now it is time to put a Christmas CD on, light the fire in the fireplace, heat up a cup of hot chocolate and curl up on the couch....Getting Cozy we call it!

VE

4 comments:

Doodle said...

Love the Christmas season ~ my favorite part of the year. I haven't pulled the boxes out yet, but sure hope to get something started, and seeing your post has inspired me to do something about it.

Thanks for sharing. And I love that quilt!

goodgosh said...

First off, I love the ornament wreath! Great idea for those old ornaments!
I love opening boxes with Christmas stuff ~ it's like opening presents, but each of these has a memory attached to it.
It's snowing like crazy today so hot chocolate and a cozy blanket sound perfect.
Thanks for sharing your special items with us.
P.s. I never liked hot glue guns. :)

Peppercorns said...

Great post VE. It brings back wonderful memories of times together over the past several years.

jj said...

I love seeing how people decorate for Christmas.
The wreath looks so nice and the quilt is beautiful.
We have several things that are brought out each year also. :)