Thursday, September 16, 2010

My dad and I and a Mural

trompe l'oeils (loi').
  1. A style of painting that gives an illusion of photographic reality.
  2. A painting or effect created in this style.
Recently my dad was called back to a local McDonald's to add on to the mural he had done years ago. They had remodeled and had to tear down part of what he had already done which meant more work to do. I had helped him the first time (minimally) and this time he needed my help more then ever because of his ill health.

The theme was right up my alley. Hollywood movies~ They had asked that we include Toy Story and Shrek.  I was hesitant at first ~ you know how it is as an artist....you look at the big empty canvas and start to doubt yourself. Well, this was a big ass canvas that included an audience and freezing cold air blowing in my face for hours, but for my dad, I'd do anything.

Before:

After
 



     I have done murals before in my own home and others which include the side of the building at our previous gallery, the side of a shed at a horse breeders farm, the wall of the Public library in the children area,  and twice for a client in her dining room. I'm hoping to start learning more from my dad and eventually....who knows?

  A few notes: 
  • My dad is more experienced and quicker
  • Parts of what you see here were already done years ago 
  • It was freezing cold in there 
  • Painting Woody made my head hurt at times 
  • Getting used to stares and questions was difficult
  • I was proud of my dad and myself
  • McDonald's is ALWAYS busy
  • The Strawberry Banana smoothies are pretty darn good.
Beam me up Scotty ~ Peggy, GG, horse face
 

9 comments:

VintageEmbellishment said...

Wow, I am amazed! I wish our McD had something this great...

You and your Dad make a wonderful team :)

cabin + cub said...

Wow! It looks fantastic! ;)

Peppercorns said...

I'm impressed! Congratulations to you and your Dad for an amazing mural. Both of you are so talented. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Doodle said...

I think it would be so cool to mural opportunities lined up for the next, I don't know, few years! You two did a great job. I'm proud of you both too! :)

Can't wait to hear when the next masterpiece begins.

jj said...

This is just amazing! It is so cool to see the whole thing laid out.
You and your dad make a great team!

(so do you get free smoothies?)

Happy Hound Creative said...

WOW!!! It looks great!!

goodgosh said...

Thanks everyone! And yes Jane, it was free anything our little hearts desired. They actually looked bummed when all I wanted was a hamburger. Oh, and a smoothie.

Me said...

You guys did such a great job. I love the BUZZ above the door. He looks like he pops out at ya.

Sheree said...

You both did a fantastic job! You should be proud!