trompe l'oeils (loi').
- A style of painting that gives an illusion of photographic reality.
- A painting or effect created in this style.
Recently my dad was called back to a local McDonald's to add on to the mural he had done years ago. They had remodeled and had to tear down part of what he had already done which meant more work to do. I had helped him the first time (minimally) and this time he needed my help more then ever because of his ill health.
The theme was right up my alley. Hollywood movies~ They had asked that we include Toy Story and Shrek. I was hesitant at first ~ you know how it is as an artist....you look at the big empty canvas and start to doubt yourself. Well, this was a big ass canvas that included an audience and freezing cold air blowing in my face for hours, but for my dad, I'd do anything.
I have done murals before in my own home and others which include the side of the building at our previous gallery, the side of a shed at a horse breeders farm, the wall of the Public library in the children area, and twice for a client in her dining room. I'm hoping to start learning more from my dad and eventually....who knows?
A few notes:
- My dad is more experienced and quicker
- Parts of what you see here were already done years ago
- It was freezing cold in there
- Painting Woody made my head hurt at times
- Getting used to stares and questions was difficult
- I was proud of my dad and myself
- McDonald's is ALWAYS busy
- The Strawberry Banana smoothies are pretty darn good.
Beam me up Scotty ~ Peggy, GG, horse face